History of the Toronto Power Station
Built in 1906 as Canada’s first power station for use by the City of Toronto. This took advantage of the Niagara Falls. Made into a Beaux-Arts design which led to Heritage protection in 1983 and being designated a national historic site in 2009.
The Power Plant goes dark
Much of the original equipment, desks and chairs were left behind. This includes original basement turbines which still back into Niagara Falls.
UPDATE :: Under the watchful eye of the Niagara Parks Commission, renovations and updates will most likely be done to the building. The goal is to prepare it for a modern use.
The ghost stories are told by urban explorers, aka people who gain access to abandoned buildings for documentation and photography. Their motto, “Leave it as you found it”
Wandering inside at the dead of night hearing only the muffled sounds of rushing water. Explorers say the building will rumble. Their guess, sounds of basement turbines firing up. Strange as power hasn’t run through the building in 40 years.
Others have been with small groups wandering the building. They heard voices from the original offices and the plant floor.
Said it was whispers, muffled talking through walls. It’s another group of urban explorers they think. Running over to greet them, show off their photographs and talk about the building.
Around the corner and into a dark empty space as the talking stopped. The room is empty.
The below courtesy of Urban Explorers at InvisibleThreads.com
**Please visit their page and share to support the talented artists