Constructed between 1858 and 1881, the main building was opened to the disturbed populace in 1864. The original hospital was designed to hold 250 patients, but reached over 2,000 by the 1950’s.
The overcrowding led to violence among patients; as there were not enough doctors, nurses and orderlies to keep the peace. Attacks, rape and murder were common in these walls, and are referenced when asking why the asylum is so haunted today.
Also talked about are the methods of Dr. Walter Freeman. He would perform ice-pick lobotomies and electro-shock on many patients; pain and torture that still can be heard from the screams in the halls of the asylum.
Many people visiting the Asylum for the first time are greeted by a white haze that floats out from dark corners.
Workers and visitors feel they’re being watched. A security guard felt this near the kitchen, just before seeing a grayish figure. It looked like a woman staring out at him from the kitchen window.
Workers have heard the sounds of rolling gurneys in the halls, and screams coming from the electro-shock rooms.
A male spirit, dressed as a doctor, has been seen in the hallways, and many ghosts of former patients have also been seen walking about.